Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Road Trip: October 1, 2011


Dear Husband,

We woke up this morning to the smell of rich coffee and bacon.  If Goggle ever has company, the last thing they should worry about is starving to death.  She wouldn’t let us do a dadgum thing, so we watched TV while she made a feast.  Over breakfast, we had endless cups of coffee while she told us all kinds of stories about the war, her family, Papa (my grandpa), and my dad when he was little.  We talked late into the morning, cleaned up and you chauffeured us to Mesilla to stroll the square and go to lunch.  More food. 

The weather was perfect today to be outside.  We went through the shops on the square, bought some pieces at an art gallery as gifts, and found the best book store.





We grabbed a seat in the courtyard to listen to the town’s jazz festival.  Goggle could name most of the songs she sang all from the 40’s.  I love that.  We went to my dad’s favorite restaurant in Messilla, La Posta.  Inside, the light is natural from the skylights in the ceiling.  There is a huge bird cage in the center of the restaurant that is home to 3 parrots and a toucan.  The food is delicious, especially the green chiles.  The green chilies are fantastic in New Mexico.


After lunch, you drove us back to Goggles, and the whole time she could not believe you knew how to get back.  She kept telling me “Stephanie, you married a good one.  I swear he has a built in radar!”  She thinks so much of you.  We packed up and Goggle gave me a glass of wine “to take the edge off”.  She filled some snacks with fruit for us on the road, and we said goodbye.  I cried.  We found this to be a routine event on this trip, me crying.

4.5 hours later, we arrived in Santa Fe at the most amazing bed and breakfast, Bobcat Inn.  I love being in a new town at night, because in the morning it looks so much different- you have no idea if you’re in the valley or on the side of a mountain or near a river.  Our adobe room was decorated perfectly.  New Mexican flare with tons of bright colors, hand made blankets, bright furniture, hints of black and white in the chairs and headboard, a quaint bathroom with black and white checkered tile, and a table/chair set on the porch. 
 
You pick the best places.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear more! Also, your BANGS! I'm in love with them. My bangs are so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing and I love your bangs too :)

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train