Monday, November 28, 2011

Road Trip: October 2, 2011 Part 3


Dear Husband,

I am starting to forget what day it is.  This is a good thing.  In Durango, you arranged for us to rent a basement apartment from a local couple off of Craigslist.  Maybe it’s my free spirit, maybe it’s because I know you pick the best places, but I’m never ever skeptical about these things.   Our digs for the next few days are just off of the main street.  We couldn't find it for the life of us!  When Ron came out waiving, we drove through a long gravel driveway to the back of the house. 

Ron, the man who owns the place, is a cowboy kind of guy.  His truck outside reads the name of his local business- something about asphalt repair.  I guess that answers our question about what do people do for a living here.  He wears worn boots and jeans that show the outline of his wallet in his pocket.  We walked down a staircase on the back of the house, and I could hear water rushing really close to us, but it was too dark to see anything.  Ron brought us down to the apartment and he and his 2 fat-as-all-get-out Boston Terriers showed us around.  We smiled as he demonstrated how to work the TVs with lengthy explanation.  The apartment is a living room, kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom.  There are small iron heaters with wooden logs in each room.  So cozy.  So perfect.  You pick the best places.   

Ron left us saying we could stay an extra night, or 6 months if we want.  If he only knew how much we wanted to accept that offer!

After we unpacked, we walked about a mile to Steamworks Brewing Co. for dinner and drinks.  We had some of the best beer ever- you a kloch, and I had a Lizard Head Red.  They had a huge chalkboard with every beer listed, its alcohol content (PS I would need this at another brewery we visit), and about 10 other stats on each beer that made no sense to  me.  Let's be honest, I picked my beer like I pick my horses- the one with the best name.

We split pizza and salad and somehow we left the apartment without a camera.  We chatted with our waitress about life in our dream town- she and her husband have been in Durango for 10 years.  She doesn't look a day over 25.

On our walk home, we ran across a drunk man stumbling down the sidewalk.  We laughed.  Why did we laugh?!  We couldn't figure out how to get around him- he took up the whole sidelwalk, and you had the bright idea to sprint past him and run all the way home.  I followed laughing the whole way.   
 
You have bewitched my heart, Mr. Carroll.  This is the best trip of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hop on the love train