Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How to keep your Nalgene from slicing your fingers open

Back in January, I decided I need to drink more water, so on a random trip to Whole Earth Provision Co., I picked up a new shmancy Nalgene bottle.  I developed a severe love for it, and bought another one this weekend.  Every morning before work, I fill it up, and then I try to carry it with 2 fingers and slice them into pieces.

For Christmas, Dan sent DC his Nalgene back home, and it has this really amazing magical comfortable accessory that keeps DC from shredding his fingers.

I asked him to put the same thing on my bottles.


You need a Nalgene bottle (you can get them here, here,  or just about anywhere that sells outdoor, fitness, or camping gear), a lighter, a sharp knife, and a 9 or 10mm climbing rope.  Again, you can get this at most outdoor places (like REI) and buy it by the foot.  Very cheap.



Take the lid off of the bottle and measure your rope against the "handle" piece

 

Cut the rope down to the length that you measured
 

Pull the white cords out of the sheath


 Then burn both ends of the rope with your lighter
 

Bend the round part of the lid (the piece that goes around the bottle) and thread it through the rope.  With a 9 or 10mm rope, this should be fairly easy.  Anything smaller than that (like the one we used because it matched my bottles...what?!) is a bit of a struggle.  Once it is all the way through, reattach the lid to your bottle


 and carry it to work without looking like you did a handstand on shards of glass.  Then drink a lot of water because I know you don't drink enough.


3 comments:

  1. That is the coolest trick ever. And they look much prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great entry! Super 'how-to', wonderful pics, great idea, and awesome hand models/workers :)

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train