Thursday, August 20, 2009

Things I Bought That I Love

I read a blog, written by The Office's Mindy Kaling, where she writes about things she loves. She's a busy lady and hasn't written a new post in 3 months, but I still like to read the archives. To my disappointment though, the things she has bought that she loves are usually a smidgen out of my price range (or common sense). So, consider this the poor man's (or frugal man's? smart man's? man who doesn't make $250,000 an episode?) Things I Bought That I Love.

My tea and coffee tins!

Why I love them:
- They fit perfectly in my cabinet next to my 34 coffee mugs.
- They tell me what's in them
- I love coffee
- I love tea

I am particularly fond of the coffee one, only because my coffee scoop from Italy slides perfectly through the handle . They were made for each other. If I had the counter space, I would display them for all the world to see, but we live in an apartment. Apartment=no counter space.

Tea and Coffee tins: $6 each, Hobby Lobby

Who needs a Yankee??

I love love love my apple scented Organic Living candle. Its smell is light enough, so I don't choke, but strong enough to get rid of any burnt dinner smells. Not that I ever burn dinner. Ok, so the greatest thing about these candles is the surprise you get when you open the jar! My luscious juicy apple candle (I made that name up because I don't know the real one) has the cutest plastic apple in the wax on the top! As the candle melts, the little apple goes down with it. The Candy Corn has plastic candy corns! The Ocean Mist has little seashells! The Birthday Cake has little plastic confetti! The Cinnamon has cinnamon! I'm done. But seriously, for 1/3 the price of a Yankee candle with scents that are just as enticing, I'm sold.

Organic Living Candle-o-surprise: $7.99, Bed, Bath, & Beyond

Tommy can you hear me?
Can you feel me near you?
Tommy can you feel me?

Can I help to cheer you.


Toms. Devin got some. They're gray and so cute on his Flintstone feet.


Lu got these when she spent the weekend with me. She calls them Mo-Mo shoes, after her grandmother, who wore weird shoes.


And please look at the ones they have for kids. Not that I think it's a good idea to spend this much on kids shoes, but...Break. my. heart.


Toms really look like these house-shoes that my grandma, Nanny, makes. It's just a couple pieces of polyester sewn together to keep your feet warm (I'll make some and put them up...as soon as I get a sewing machine), but slap some rubber on the bottom and dadgummit, Nanny could have been BANKING. But you know what? Nanny never gave shoes to kids in need. She gave them blankets that she made by hand, but that's irrelevant.

Toms come in so many colors and designs. I almost worry about them falling into the croc-pot, and I don't mean my next favorite thing...I mean this. The best thing about them, though, is that when you buy a pair, Toms gives a pair of shoes to a kid in need. You all know how much I love that. If Devin would let me, I'd buy all of the Toms at Whole Earth Provision.

Toms: $34-$54 (remember, you're buying a kid shoes), www.tomsshoes.com

The greatest invention in the history of anything ever invented.

Feast your eyes on this bad boy.
I guess I am not allowed to call it a Croc-pot if it isn't that brand? Whatever. Rival, Slow cooker, best friend, what I would take to heaven if I could...call it what you want. This thing makes my life glorious. Actually this plus this:

And I just bought this one from goodwillbooks.com

So, these books tell you what all to throw in there. Stir it a little, and set that fancy timer. When the time is up, it changes its settings to "keep warm" until you get home. Usually, I find something that takes 8 hours to cook so that when I get home, it has only been warming for about an hour. So picture this. Devin and I get home, we eat, we go work out, we clean the kitchen and oh my land! It's only 7:30! We have the whole evening to do anything we want...which usually doesn't include TV because we don't like it much.

In addition, my friend Emmy told me about Croc-Pot liners. At first, I didn't know how I felt about cooking my dinner for 8 hours in a plastic bag, but when I realized I wouldn't have to maneuver that huge pot in our midget-apartment sink, I was sold. Emmy also told me one of her favorite places to eat dinner is Target. I said, "You mean like when you are shopping there and it's dinner time, you like to sit down? Or, do you mean you and Brett are trying to pick a place to eat and one of you recommends Target?" She said the latter. So, yeah...


When I registered for my Rival slow cooker for my bridal shower, I really didn't think I would use it. Now, I am in a bad mood if I can't make at least one meal a week in it.

Rival Slow Cooker: $29.99, wherever you want to buy a slow cooker
Slow cooker liners: $4.99 for 8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hop on the love train