Thursday, February 13, 2014

That time I learned how to use a pickaxe

When we moved into this sweet, little house in August, I immediately started dreaming up the garden.  In fact, I started dreaming it up while we did our time in Houston sitting on our patio looking out into the lush, beautiful, breath taking...parking garage.

We did our best though.  We did small gardening.  Tiny plants in coffee cans.  Barely enough sunlight.








Oh sweet little garden.  You frustrated me straight into inspiration for years to come.

The side yard at our new home was the previous owner's dog yard, so it has a nice metal gate sectioning it off from the rest.  This will keep Bird out of the garden and away from my delicious plants that she loves to eat.

In my mind, this garden will look pretty much exactly like this:


and this


but, for now, this is where we started:



Let me tell you briefly about the journey in learning how to use a pickaxe.  You can only do it on one side, not the other.  You meaning me.  So the next day, every muscle on my right side from my cranium to my pinky toe had a little ache to it.  It's hard, y'all.


We dug out 2 of 3 beds after we measured out and created our master plan.  Here she blows!


We're working with an organization here in Austin to give a portion of our fruits away to promote healthy eating!  So, green thumbs crossed, we will be picking fruits from our garden by early Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hop on the love train