Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Spoiled Rotten.

You guys!!!

orange scooter

My husband spoils me rotten…maybe not TOO rotten because this isn’t my scooter, but he definitely goes above and beyond to make sure I know he hears me.

Saturday, we went down to Galveston. It isn’t the prettiest beach in all the land, people, but we like having a getaway that only takes 45 minutes to get…away. It is also where we got engaged, so it has a sweet spot in my little heart. Dev had called a place called Scoots that was very affordable. We couldn’t believe this little place didn’t get more business for the prices they offered. If you’re in Galveston, check them out- they suffered a hard hit when Ike came to town last year.

Ok, so, we got there and Devin did all of the paperwork while Ms. Mabel took me out to the parking lot for a little lesson. Ms. Mabel wasn’t her real name but I totally wanted to call her that the whole time- sort of the Mama of the store, her white hair pulled up on top of her head, but you know she rides a mean scooter and has this poster on her wall…

never too late

Now that I think about it…why didn’t they take Devin out for a lesson?! Why was it assumed that I had never done this before? I could absolutely have 3 Harleys in my non existent garage for all they know. Ok, now I’m mad.

So, I aced my lesson of course because I am a motor head…or because driving a scooter isn’t all that hard. I pulled up to the front, and we were on our way! I was a smidge nervous only because Devin told me this may or may not be a test. The results could determine whether or not he would even begin to think about getting me a scooter. I let Devin have the orange one since he had won some MAJOR husband points in bringing me to do this. I also gave him the orange scooter to suck up. IgottadowhatIgottado.

Dev on scooterWe wore our bike helmets. Like heck we’re going to put on helmets that other people have sweat in that have been sprayed like bowling shoes. A no thanks.

scooter me

BALLLER! KOBE! Seriously the need for one of these (although I like the older Hondas) is growing. Who thinks I need one of these someday?! Who thinks my head looks like a mushroom in my bike helmet?! Just me?

We rode down the sea wall past where Devin asked me to marry him.

Flashback!

CIMG1363DMC & SJW Engagement 011 I don’t think we actually saw the exact place, but we have a pretty good feeling that it is still there. We were worried Ike took our spot with him when he barged in and wore out his welcome.

ike

We stopped at Ben and Jerry’s for some ice cream. By then, I was a master at stopping that little scooter. Frozen Yogurt from B&J…so good or no good? So. good.

Dev icecream dev me icecream

Pay no attention to the fact that I look 13 years old in this picture.

We went over to the port on our scooters where a Carnival cruise ship (or funship- shout out OV06) was waiting to leave. I hope everyone on that boat had their luggage (side note: Devin and I went on a Carnival cruise for our honeymoon. Southwest Airlines lost my suitcase and the only things I had for the entire cruise of 8 days was a bag of shoes and a fancy black dress). There were a lot of boats to take pictures of and an oil rig museum (Bear, you would have loved it- no one was going to that museum, you could have had it all to yourself)

Dev with the camera Someone tell me how this man looks so good in every bike helmet he puts on.

We rode over to the strand where we wandered through the Yaga store. Seriously, in elementary school, I would have FREAKED.OUT. if my mom took me into a Yaga store. These days, I just think, “Oh so and so had that shirt in 5th grade which meant they were cool but now they’re not that cool because being in jail isn’t cool”. Yaga, Mossimo, Girbaud…all brands that made you cool. All brands I didn’t have until Mossimo was sold to Target. All things you can’t take to heaven.

We went through a lot of the souvenirs shops, which all sell the same things, and I was craving more scooter, so, we rode for the remainder of our time. We turned our scooters in (sad times.) and did our ushe (abbreviation for usual?) when we go to Galveston: park for free, walk to the beach, play, walk back to the car, mooch off of a condo complex’s shower, change, go to dinner.

I had so much fun…Devin said every time he looked in the rearview at me, I was smiling like a big dork. But, in all seriousness, I was completely taken aback at how blessed I am to be married to someone who not only likes to get out and do things (I was thinking how sad I would be if he was a video game player…no offense to any if you Halo addicted people or whatever game is cool now), but he actually considers me and what I have said I like or want, and he wanted to make it happen. That was the best part of the day…to know how much I am loved.

3 comments:

  1. My husband loves video games, but he only plays once I go to sleep. Of course, I go to sleep at 9 since I'm pregnant, but even when I stayed up late, that's just his thing he does on his time. But Devin does seem like an awesome husband, and ya'll DO seem to have an excellent time together. Looks like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we lived closer and were better friends... just a thought...Will you grab me a yaga shirt next time you go?

    You are neat!

    *Is it cool to say neat anymore?*

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should get the scooter off your brain. Not Gonna Happen. So serious.

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train