Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Fall Into Fall

Back in my sophomore year of college, Jinna and I celebrated Fall by sky diving. We called it Fall into Fall...annnnd…the rest of the title is irrelevant.

Check us out

n29601912_32831995_9962

My mom almost disowned me for that. Oops.

I love Fall. Or Autumn. Or Harvest. Whatever you prefer.

Houston is a hot-as-sin, as Devin would say, city. In the summer (summer meaning May through September), we average at around 100 degrees every day. I walk from work to the train, about a 45 second walk, and I am gross and outside-smelling by the time I am boarding. And I don’t even sweat as much as a normal person. Because I’m not normal? I don’t know what I meant by that. Regardless, it is miserable. So, when fall comes around, the temperature is just right, the humidity is not nearly as harsh, and even though it starts to get dark much earlier, Texans come out of the woodwork and frolic throughout the outdoors like a bunch of little girls wearing new tutus.

Come to think of it, if you want to put the blame on something for making Houston one of the fattest cities, let’s go ahead and blame the heat. Or the Mexican food.

Autumn brings colors that I cannot take my eyes off of.

autumn in NYC

Don’t think for one second that I took this picture. My brother, Alex, is a fantastic photographer. A natural. No training. Just talent. That’s what happens when you’re the first child. You get to pick the genes and talents you want and the other 2 get the leftovers. I am convinced of this. He is amazing. This is Central Park…in the fall of course. Gorgeous. Fall is my favorite time to visit NYC. Convenient for Kstan running the marathon this year? Yes.

I want to scoop all of those leaves up and leap right into the middle of them. Or pile them on top of Frisky.

frisk leaves

sticks

Fall means Pumpkin Spice.

It’s not when school starts, or when new TV shows come on…It is when Starbucks busts out the Pumpkin Spice Latte in August. Then, you know it is fall.

pumpkin_latte_nutrition

If I may be very honest, I used to L*O*V*E this bev. I was reckless with excitement when I saw that it had arrived, but I tried it twice already this year, and it is not to my liking. I’ll have a Dirty Soy Chai please. Or just HEB Taste of the Hill Country. Delish.

William Sonoma makes really really simple and delicious baking mixes. I do not know this from experience. My coworker makes this every fall.

pumpkin spiceIt is the most delicious bread to have your coffee with. I don't make it 1. because she makes it and why would I steal her thunder and 2. because Devin would eat it all and I probably would never get a bite, so at least I get one at work. I’m kidding. Sort of. Anyway, like I said, I don’t know how easy it is from experience, but I have checked it out when Devin wants to go in William Sonoma for samples and not to buy a single thing, and it looks super easy.

Fall clothes are my absolute favorite, especially the light sweaters. Thank you Jesus for a new light sweater. And coats. I love me a new coat. But, I don’t like just any fall clothes, meaning, a store can’t just make the same sweater they always make, in 3 colors (gray, brown, and black), and expect me to be excited for their “new and innovative” line. I need some variety. I need vintage. I need color. I need creativity.

I need (want?) J.Crew.

I need (want?) Anthropologie.

I apparently need more money for my taste. Actually, I get most things I love from these places on sale OR at the J. Crew outlet in San Marcos. I cannot bring myself to pay full price for anything at either one of these stores. But, I do know I love them.

Fall means Christmas is almost here. Which means my family will all be together again, and it will be my first Christmas as a Carroll. That makes me warm and fuzzy…like a new sweater.

What's makes you fall in love with Autumn?

P.S. I love your comments. All of them. Thanks for reading.

7 comments:

  1. I love this post, probably because I love fall, too. It's my favorite season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph... know idea you had a blog until you posted it as an update... I am fully convinced as well with the older siblings picking the gene's they want... Hi I am middle child... of 7. Shooot.
    ~katch

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you know there is a J. crew outlet at Katy Mills...i know thats still far from you, but closer than San Marcos

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are adorable.

    I was on the Metrorail this afternoon, feeling embarressed for the stinky girl sitting next to me. She got off at her stop and it still smelled.

    I am a Sweaty Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leigh. I did not know this and am in love with you for telling me.

    Ms. Brooks. It happens to the best of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a shoutout!! Seriously, that photo is gorgeous but sadly Central Park will not look like that on November 1st. I can't wait for your visit. Fall also means cider donuts and pumpkin ale beer (Brooklyn Brewery in particular) and an excuse to put all of your rooster decorations on display!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post about Pumpkin Spice Lattes is what started my addiction! I had to implement a rule of "only once a week" for fear of high costs and extra weight gain.

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train