Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Somewhere to give

Hey, you know that homeless guy on the corner next to where you work that you never give money to because you think he will spend it on beer and cigs?

I do.

I see lots and lots and lots of homeless guys working their corner.  The regulars on my commute

and I see lots of them wandering the Medical Center every day

and I see some with signs that say things like, 

"I don't want your money, I just want a job" 

or

"Lost my job, need $89 to make rent this month" and he marks it off and rewrites the amount with each donation

or

"Family taken by ninjas, need money for karate lessons"

I love their humor.  Would I be making jokes if I was humbling myself and begging for your pocket change while you look down at your cell phone pretending not to see me?

If you have a heart for those guys who have the humility to stand there and ask for your grace, this one is for you.

And it's cheap and easy and you can do it year round.

As of late, Devin and I have these in our cars


The ziploc ($2.00 for like 40) has a small bottle of water ($2.00ish for 12), PB crackers ($1.99 for 8), fruit snacks ($1.80ish for 10), and a little booklet from our church telling them about Jesus and how they can come to our church and find life.

I realize they are asking for money- most of them.  Some of them say anything will help.  Maybe this will.  Or maybe this will just give them a snack and something to read while they sit on their perch.

You can choose to put a few dollars in there if you want, too.  We're going to see how this goes first, but I love to give them money too.  If you are iffy about what they're using the money for, the great thing about these is they get whatever you are comfortable with putting in them.  Get creative.  If you have kids, this is a great way to show them how to love on other people.


So for about $8 you can feed 10 people.  Show some love.  Show that you see them.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. What a fantastic idea. There is this man that sits, practically naked, in the park right by the White House. He has long dreadlocks and carries a staff, and looks like the god of the sea, Neptune. My work colleagues and I always made fun of him (shame) and laughed. These years later, his name is Elijah, he greets me each and every day on my bike as I ride by, we are 'facebook friends' and I've apologized for my treatment of him in the past (he's forgiven me). Now he is a highlight of my day --- seeing him --- and I wonder how many other homeless people are just kind, wonderful people who need kindness rather than hate. Anyway --- this is a wonderful idea, I'll talk it over with my husband now. Only issue will be carrying it on my bike instead of my car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This entry made my heart swell. You have a beautiful soul! Honored to call you my friend. <3!

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train