Wednesday, June 3, 2009

It's gnat a big problem, but it bugs me...


We have gnats. We have swarms of them that live primarily in our kitchen. As soon as we walk in and turn the sink on, they fly everywhere and Devin transforms into Mowgli and jumps around trying to catch or kill them. For one, the bugs are annoying, and for two, it scares me when my husband resembles an ape boy. Wait, was he an ape? I only saw the movie once when I was dating Devin. I guess he was just a boy who acted like an ape.

Anyway, we don't want to have the maintenance guys spray the inside of our apartment because you and I both know that they would spray anything and everything as they rush through it and I don't really want to be eating or sleeping on pesticide. So, I did some research yesterday and found this message board where people were discussing different methods of getting rid of these pesky little critters. Several of them had tried mixing dish soap with cider vinegar. I thought it would end up scoring me MAJOR wife points because the vinegar/soap method really seemed to work for everyone. But, after about 15 hours (so far...don't think I left those gnats in my apartment without bait today), this is my result.

3. Are you kidding me?! 3?! Oh yeah I had one more in another other bowl. So, I caught 4 of the 31 million that Devin tries to fight off during breakfast.

In the end, I got zero wife points, a kitchen that smells like vinegar, some bites of revenge from the gnats while I slept last night, and a hillbilly husband eating with a flyswatter in his hand. Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of these guys??

2 comments:

  1. sounds like you have a "gnatsy" problem.
    It "gnatsysitates" serious revenge.
    It might "gnat" take as long as you think to get rid of them.
    First: try only 1/2" cider vinegar and 2 drops dish soap
    If that doesn't "gnat gate" them : try giving Devin the vaccum
    hose as you turn the water on in the sink. See what happens.
    Also, the garbage disposal might be the source of the problem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,
    Put out a cup with sugar water in it...usually it will attract them and kill them. If not, you have super gnats and there is no hope. They just have to die on their own or with Devin's fly swatter. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train