Monday, June 29, 2009

No, I don't want no scrubs...

I think T-Boz, Left Eye, and Chili said it best, because I don't want no scrubs either. But, I'm talking about a different kind of scrub here. I'm talking about the sweat pants of the medical workplace. I'm talking about your everyday navy, teal, light blue, maroon, or if it's wacky Friday maybe a snoopy print scrub. I don't want anything to do with them and let me tell you why.

Scrubs are the culprit for obesity in the medical field. Have you ever gone to the doctor and wondered how he could in fact be a physician and still be so ridiculously overweight? 1 word. Scrubs.
They make people chubby. Okay, I should give some credit...there are some fit doctors and nurses but I work in one of the largest hospitals in the city, and I would say 90% of them receive obesity counseling at the yearly employee health testing.

Think about it. If you wore pants every single day that had a drawstring, you would never know how much you were growing. You would just keep on tying that string until, yep, you've run out. And then it's too late! Then you have to go up on a size in the scrubs and at first you're completely beside yourself, but then you realize that so and so is ordering a size bigger than you, and all of the sudden you're not bothered by it anymore, thus begins the next phase of the scrub cycle ending in you growing out of that size and all of the sudden you are being recruited for TLC's 3rd season of BIG Medicine (this may or may not be shot at the hospital I work at) and you never knew what hit you because you came in lookin' like Dr. McGoodlookin' (whatever his name is- I don't watch TV really at all) and now you're lookin' more like Fat Albert Goes to Nursing School. But, then, your Patient Liaison comes by and says, "It must have been the scrubs". And then you know. Scrubs 1, You 0.


1 comment:

  1. It's the same for maternity clothes --- they are all stretchy and blah, so you just get bigger and bigger and bigger. I hope you get the scooter before the eight children, if you don't want endlessly stretchy comfort clothes ...

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train