Thursday, June 18, 2009

We need Godspeed and fitted feet

Newsflash: Devin races bikes. It is what he does, it is one of 93,483,291 things he excels at, it is what he loves.

To catch everyone up...

Devin was riding when he was just a tyke. I think he rode out on a bike in the delivery room. Please look at how cute that is. Unintentional ape-hanger handlebars?? Look at the flip-flops! I thought we couldn't ride in flip-flops? He probably didn't even need those training wheels, and knowing him, he probably took them off right after this picture. The bike riding started at a very young age, and he soon became Evil Kinievel.

Go, speed racer, go!! From what I hear, he was quite the BMX rider. I definitely don't doubt it. I would hope 6 concussions would mean he got a lot of practice. I want 8 kids just like him (see previous post- the scooter isn't going so well, so I am using my alternate methods). The funny thing is, he has a bathing suit now that looks just like those pants! Biking of all kinds...my husband can do it all.

Look at his Devon Sawa haircut. He is straight out of Tiger Beat Magazine. So 90s, but oh so cool. He was probably looking for his girlfriend, Nancy.

Fast forward a few years, and Devin is racing mountain and road for Texas A&M...I can't resist...
AAAAAAAAAA A-A-A-A-A WHOOP!!!
Please disregard the fact that he is beating a Texas State rider. I am sure he had a rock in his shoe or something else legit like that. I'm kidding, I'm sure Devin smoked him.

You will notice Devin in the back holding up his conference champion belt. I plan to wear it this Halloween to achieve this look:
DANG IT! I totally thought he had a belt! Someone please tell me what is wrong with my memory. First, the Amelia Earhart vision and now this. Guess I'll have to go for this look:

STONE COLD!!! Enough about my Halloween plans, since I have about 7 costumes in the works and it is only June and more than likely I will be watching Kstan run the NY Marathon that weekend, so I wont even do anything Halloween related. Oh my gosh, enough! Back on topic...

This would be my unbelievable husband winning the conference championship crit. You can watch him sprint for the win here.

So, on Mother's day in 2008, Devin went with Chad to Road Nationals in Colorado. If Chad is going, it must be bad news. I kid, Julius.


I bought him those arm warmers. Do NOT be jealous of the Carrolls' hardcoreness.

I had just exchanged phone numbers with Devin's mom in church when she called to tell me (actually Zach) that Devin had crashed. We found out he had broken his collarbone. Womp, womp. Luckily, he knew some amazing person that worked at Methodist Hospital who got him right in to one of the best orthopedic surgeons. He went through 2 surgeries in a summer which really put a damper on my tan. Jokes. We were so thankful that it was just his collarbone, but it really was a frustrating experience for Devin. But, naturally, he had his second surgery in August of 2008 and won the first mountain bike race he rode in after the surgery. His road frame from the crash was dunzo, and he had to get a new one from Specialized. Ever since, things haven't been the same. We can't seem to get his fit on his feet quite right and it keeps him from pedaling hard with his sequoia legs. We have tried a very pricey Bike Barn fit which really just messed him up even more. Don't do it. I can say that because this is my blog. My blog my rules. Another example of my hardcoreness.

So, we decided to give racing a shot last week at the Memorial Park Criterium. They hold these every Wednesday night during the summer- it's really fun. My friend, Scott Corron, who took this picture back in November

was there shooting the race and helped me get our camera set up. I also got photography lessons! How to set the camera to track the rider you want, etc. I got a couple of Dev, but I didnt get very good ones. I'm new at it. He ended up DNF-ing because his fit was so wrong and he thought he might hurt himself.

Scott took this of Devin and his furious coach. I am so mad. Look how mad I am! But seriously- it was hot out there and I was sad he didn't feel right on his bike. We have been fighting this fit issue for so so long and I want him to love what he loves.

Friday night he decided to try track racing (on his track bike) with Chad.


And I quote the man himself..."the racing was great [he got 3rd!], the fit was tolerable".
All of these pictures and links and all of the rambling is for one purpose. I want my cute as a speckled pup husband to come home from a bike ride and say it was excellent. So, if you think about me or him or us, please pray that his bike fit situation would be fixed somehow.

7 comments:

  1. LOVE this post... and the blog is looking really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I love the pictures of little Devin! I mean littler Devin. :) Kidding, I'm just a giant. And a white one, at that, I enjoyed the tanning joke. I'll pray for fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You Lord for providing a supportive, adoring (and darling!) wife for my son!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cutie baby Devin was!!! I would have had a heart attack everytime he went over a jump when he was a little BMX-er. And thank you Steph for the fit lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Steph- did you ever watch WWE. No judgements here if that is a yes. You just seemed to come up with Stone Cold very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may have had this game and played it non stop with my brothers.
    http://i1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/102/999/732/25b8_1.JPG
    My first thought was to get a Bam Bam picture, but he's old and washed up. He should be on I'm a Celebrity Get me Out of Here so he can cartwheel Speidi. I hate TV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephanie, saw your post on Siesta Summer Bible study blog (LPM) and would love to invite you to join the little gathering just beginning to form here. I'm in Houston (also new) and live west (Barker Cypress/I-10)...please look me up to see if you're interested:
    Sharoni Humphreys
    sharonirn@gmail.com
    sharoni-thebudblooms.blogspot.com
    also on Facebook (Sharon Humphreys)
    Shoot an e-mail or post or whatever...
    Be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train