Monday, May 17, 2010

I can sorta run, but I canNOT jump

This weekend, 6 girls and one hero of a man (maybe my husband) set out to Corpus Christi to run the Beach to Bay Marathon Relay.  Each leg was around 4.somethin miles.
As we were driving into Corpus through a massive downpour, we were positive the weather would be okay for the race.
Fail.
The race started at 7am and it.poured.the.whole.time.  Our 1st leg had to run on the beach and our 3rd leg had to run up and over a causeway in the hardest part of the storm.  You would think that once you got up and over that thing, the rest of the leg would be cake.  Except that the wind was in her face.
I ran the anchor and probably one of the easier parts of the race.  It was still raining and the wind was blowing.  Apparently these conditions are ideal for me because I ran my fastest race pace ever.
And then, of course right after I finished, the sun came out and the rest of the weekend was gorgeous.  But, I think we all prefer rain to heat.  Maybe that's just me?
IMG_4347

The group post-race at the top of the madness that was the after party.  We look dang good for running through a hurricane.
And then Erin suggested a jumping picture.  Not my forte apparently.

IMG_4349

That's where Mel and I karate chopped each other

IMG_4351

Yeah that's me on the ground.

IMG_4357 

I think the problem here is that I jump way too quickly for everyone else.  Like lightening.  I'm up and down before you can blink.  No?

IMG_4352

There it is.

IMG_4358

Don't worry, after this we went to the beach so I could get some sun and not blind you with my fluorescence.
This handsome man was there too...

IMG_4370

It would have been absolutely impossible for us to do this race without him.  He planned out our leg times, figured out the circus show that was the shuttle system, drove us to our starting points, picked up runners, held umbrellas, ran to the truck, ran back to the truck, cheered, high fived, took pictures, and when the race was over, he lugged our cooler down to the beach for us.
He. rules.
High five to Crossing the Line Jelly Jelly Shake Your Belly for an epic race.

2 comments:

  1. Something about wind and rain makes me faster, too! If there's ever a windy, wet, and COLD race, you should jump on that--you'll win for sure....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness you are a better runner than camera jumper. I'm so proud of you and your team! What an awesome experience.

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train