Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Let me tell you about the nicest thing anyone on earth has ever done for us.

Our abode has had some stress in it the last few weeks.  Anyone who says having your families all in the same city would be easier for the holidays is a little off.  Our families are great about it, but it's still a task trying to split up our time.  Mix in some big decisions, some changes in life, a bunk running knee, the fact that Santa said no for the 21st year in a row to my request for a puppy, and some uncertainty and you have a girl who cries when she's watching A Muppet Christmas Carol because HOW COULD HE TREAT KERMIT THAT WAY?!?


We pray a lot.  We have a lot going on.  You do too, I know.

and He hears us.

THIS is how I know He hears us.

I have been wanting nothing more than some time alone and away with my man whether it was before Christmas or somewhere mixed in.  Originally we were shooting for New Years, but that wouldn't work now with a family wedding and other...touchy....events.  We toyed with the idea of Christmas morning by ourselves, Christmas Eve service at our church and then traveling up to our families.  Nothing seemed like it would work out- please refer back to the first paragraph.

Somewhere in the hubbub of Christmas shopping, I emailed a friend for some gift ideas.  Her man digs some of the same things my man does.

Do you know what she emailed back?

She offered us their place for the weekend while they were out of town.

Ironically, we had no plans.

Did I mention I have not seen her since 2002?  And I have never met her husband?

This is how I know God hears us.  He knows what we need.  He gives us what we need in ways we would never expect Him to.

I jumped at the opportunity and planned it all as a surprise for Devin.

And so I bring you a tour of Drew and Lauren's digs.

When we walked in, Devin said, "I don't know where we are, but I never want to go home".

Try to control your ooohs and ahhhhs.












And like a good wife of a cycling obsessed man, I knew he would be devastated to get to our surprise destination without a bike and friends to ride with.

So I called in some favors and 2 of his boyfriends came down just to take him on a bike ride.

Thank you to the moon, Haga boys.


And I spent the afternoon with this view from the hammock, cooking up some delicious lunch for the boys, and playing house.



 

It was our best weekend together ever.


All he could do was thank me for planning this and tell me how much he needed this and how he could not believe someone would open their home to us for the weekend like this.
Me either.  It was the nicest thing anyone has ever offered to me.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Days!


6 comments:

  1. awwww. . .that's so sweet. i love days at the cabin and the cabin's days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Chad, would you like to ride on new and interesting roads with one of your best buds from college and eat delicious food that I cooked?"

    Gee, that's a tough one.... Thanks, Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those not in the know, Chad is "Texas's premier husband exerciser"

    ReplyDelete
  4. err it seems that we didn't hide our extension cords to our christmas lights so much... don't ask how many times I have backed into that stump.... drew was proud to have pro cyclists in our yard... we think you carrolls are the best penpals ever... can't wait to hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do I get a house like that? In Texas? It's on my list of things to do after I get out of the Navy.

    I'm so glad you got the escape and time together you needed; you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool! I love it when this kind of thing happens. And, seriously? The house? Kim is dying over here. It's gorgeous. And I want that patio. And that weather.

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train