Friday, March 26, 2010

Grease Monkey

I know was going to post a delish recipe today, but DC and I got to work on my road bike last night, so I decided to post some bike progress instead, mostly for the fellas who read.  And Liza!

Here she is before


The pictures aren't great.  Our light fixtures are yellow.  some are white. and it was night.  Ugh I hate apartment lighting.

DC taught me how to take off the horrendous bottle cages, the wheels, both brakes, derailleurs, shifters (wait he took those off), chain, bar tape, & brake cables.

Ya'll I think this bike sat buried in a dirt pile in someone's yard for years.  because people have those.  It was so dusty and grimy.  The shifters wouldn't even move and I thought we would have to buy new ones (based on my extensive knowledge of bicycles...as DC says "Your sarcasm is dripping off of that").  But my engineer scientist nerd (the good kind...) of a husband fixed them.  It was incredible.  I was amazed.

I cleaned all of the parts we took off.  We use Simple Green.  I think most cyclists do.  Then again, I have no idea what I base that on.  Then I cleaned the frame.  And we found this.



The original price tag.  I think D said this is a 1999 Trek.  I almost got kicked out of DC's family when his dad found out I got a Trek.  Now I'm pretty sure I'd be out for good if I weren't so dang cool.  The tag says this bike is from Bike Barn.  BUT!  As I type, DC is at his dad's shop spending plenty of money on parts.  He rarely leaves there without doing so.

Anyone have a shorter stem?  This one is for someone with ape arms.  I'll trade you.  Then I'll take back the comment about ape arms.

So this is where she is now.  All cleaned up and ready to get new parts.


We're definitely going to get a white saddle and white bar tape.

Silver cable housing.  New pedals.

That's about all she needs.  She is SUCH a steal.

Hopefully we'll finish her up this weekend and plant our seeds that have all sprouted (except the blasted peppers), and we're gonna spend some time at the art festival.

The weather is too amazing to be inside, people.  Unless you live in Brooklyn.  Or DC.  Or Newport.

Happy weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Simple green for life! I just used a third of a bottle cleaning my bike after racing in the rain last weekend. You'd think the bike would be clean after a shower like that, but I assure you this is not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH bike geeks. I'm TOTALLY jealous --- I just don't have the skills (or the Devin), so my lovely pink bike just sits by my desk during the day, covered in grime. I would love to have been there and taken my bike apart with you, although I'm fairly certain I would need no new parts ... I'm the queen of monkey arms, so no luck from me on that part ... I can't wait to see more (and hopefully your recipe used some cheese with FAT IN IT. :) )

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train