Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Guest Blogger Questions Answered

Amanda asked:  I've got issues when it comes to my ankles.  Any suggestions on some good shoes?

Kristan:

Running shoes are the most important component in your entire running arsenal. The choice of shoe also varies from person to person due to foot shape, arches, the way you run, and so many other factors. Because of this, I always hesitate to recommend a certain shoe or even brand, because what works for me may not work for you. The best advice I can give is to look up where your local running store is and pay them a visit. A mass market sporting goods chain will not do because their sales people are not knowledgeable in the specifics of running. A specialty running store staffs people whose first passion is running, so they want to find the best shoes that work for you. Let them know a few things before they start the process, such as price range, mileage, any running goals, and any lingering pain issues, such as your ankles. They will take a look at your feet and ask you to run a bit, so they can get a sense of your stride. This is the best way to find yourself in running shoes that are completely comfortable and supportive to your ankles and the rest of your body! Once you find a pair you love, you can order your next pair online, which may save you a few dollars and a trip to the store. Finally remember to get new shoes after you run/walked between 400-500 miles in them. It may sound like a lot of miles, but trust me, all your running adds up!

(Note from Stephanie: Amanda, I would love to train you!  Give me a few months!!  Also, I have never used the Nike pod thing, but my Garmin watch is fantastic at doing exactly what you described)

Maggie asked: How do you get over the training hump of 6 miles?  When I get to mile 6, it seems that my knees give out.

Kristan:

Getting over a mileage hump can be tough. It can be both a physical and mental barrier. When I started my long runs, I foolishly thought that if I stopped to walk or stretch for a short amount of time, I was cheating on the run. Thankfully I learned it is just the opposite. Sometimes a short break can help us better complete the run. If you find yourself having trouble going beyond 6 miles, it may be beneficial to insert a short break within your run. If you do not normally warm up, try running a mile and then stopping for a few minutes to stretch the areas of your legs that are tight before continuing on. Another option could be to stop halfway through your run for a 1-2 minute walk break. You can even insert these breaks after every mile or two. It helps with the mental aspect of your run, as you can break your runs into smaller segments. Finally another way to try to get through all of your mileage is to start off at a slower pace than normal for at least the first half of your run. This may put less stress on your legs and allow you to complete the distance. Training barriers like these are only temporary. You will break through it and leave 6 miles in the dust in no time!

Keep the questions for Kristan coming!!  (PS you can check her out here flying past some guys...and she will probably hate me for that) Remember the giveaway ends tomorrow at 5pm central so get those comments and questions in (on the original post) asap to enter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hop on the love train