Friday, April 9, 2010

Lovefest 2010 Part 1

DC and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary on Easter Sunday, so we took advantage of our long weekend and got the heck out of dodge.  I took the liberty of planning the entire thing without him having any idea of what we were doing...which means...I get to cross it off of my list.

We headed West, past Austin, and ended up here to set up camp.





We threw on our Chacos (man it's good to wear flip flops and sandals and shorts again) for some exploring.




I was a smidge obsessed with these trees.  Amazing.  For anyone who loves all things Lord of the Rings / Harry Potter / not Twilight / movies with massive trees, this was heaven.  I felt like a hobbit.  I promise I'm not one of those weirdos with airbrushed unicorn tshirts though.




When the sun started to set, we started building our fire.


We didn't bring lighter fluid.  Don't judge us for being hard core.


I asked DC how he knew how to do that.

He said, "Bear Grylls".


Well, too bad we didn't have a camera crew with us to help us light our fire with their gasoline and torch.

So, I stepped in with my Camp Fire Girls knowledge.  Don't laugh, I'm legit.  And I got that dadgum fire started while D started cooking dinner.  And then he got so excited about it, he rushed over, tripped, and stepped on the fire putting it out.

You can't make this stuff up, people.

We finally got our fire ablaze.  Good thing.  It got rather cold that night.  So cold that DC literally put me in another sleeping bag in the wee hours of the morning like a papoose.

DC let me sleep in- our tent is actually quite comfortable when it's cool.  We've camped in the heat and by 6am I am running around the woods screaming "IM SO HOT" and "DONT TOUCH ME" and "WHO SAYS THIS IS A TWO PERSON TENT BECAUSE IT IS NOTTTTTTUH!"

I woke up and found him doing this.



Coffee was on before I got up.  Just like home.


Turkey breakfast sausage and eggs...


Breakfast was served.  Holy cow.  Delicious.

It was right when I finished my breakfast burrito that I asked for a time check and we realized we had about an hour to pack up, clean up, and get on the road for part 2, so we did what I always do when there is a time crunch.  We got distracted, took more pictures, I stepped on something sharp, and we watched some cardinals.  Duh.

4 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous! Camping is on my list, too. I bought us a tent 3 years ago and we still haven't used it! LOL

    Maybe we need to join you guys once since you're all camping geniuses and the like :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful campsite/area!! love the trees too:) Looks like you had the place all to yourselves, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect :) Makes me want to dust off the tent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Looking forward to Part II.

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train