Tuesday, April 20, 2010

You can eat 4 of these cookies, think about a 5th, and not feel guilty….unless you’re someone who never feels guilty about eating 4 cookies…DC.

 

I try to make these cookies about once a month. 

They are from Mark Bittman’s Food Matters.  If you haven’t picked this up yet, you should.  Very interesting with tons of good recipes- Everything we have made from this book has been fantastic.

books-food-matters_0

These cookies go great with coffee, they’ll satisfy your sweet tooth, and you can put whatever you want in them.  With this batch, DC is averaging 5 a day.  1 before breakfast, 1 after, 2 at lunch, 1 at night.  It would be more, but my mom brought cupcakes over this weekend.  He has to space it all out.

Anyway, the recipe!

1/2 c. peanut oil or vegetable oil, or 8 tablespoons unsalted butter softened (I use Land of the Lakes light butter- it’s still not fantastic, but it’s about 1/3 everything of regular butter)

1/2 c. granulated sugar

1/2 c. packed brown sugar

1/4 c. applesauce, or 2 eggs

1 1/2 c. all purpose flour

2 c. rolled oats (it says not instant but I use instant and they’re still amaze)

1 c. dried fruit- This is pretty much where I say forget the recipe and add so much deliciousness in the bowl that I think I could make 64 dozen cookies with one batch.

I do tons of raisins or craisins or both because DC says he can never have too many in a cookie

1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans (I do walnuts and I do waaaaay more than 1/2 a cup)

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (more, please)

pinch of salt

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 c. milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla (I just realized I forgot this for this batch- my mom is rolling her eyes and laughing at me, but guess what!  The cookies are still delish)

Hokay, so, mix the softened butter and sugars together, then add the applesauce or eggs and mix until smooth.

In a separate bowl, mix the flour and the next 6 ingreeds together

Alternating between the flour mixture and the milk, add them to the sugar mixture until mixed well

Add the vanilla, mix

Spoon onto a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes (I did mine for 14 because our apartment oven is bunk).

Cool 1 minute on the pan, then completely cool on a cooling rack.

Hide 1/2 the batch for yourself.

Devour.

2 comments:

  1. yesterday: the damage...
    1 cookie before breakfast
    1 cookie after breakfast
    2 cookies at lunch
    1 cupcake at lunch
    1 cookie before dinner
    2 cupcakes after dinner
    1 bite of Steph's cookie...

    grand total: 5.33 cookies & 3 cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound terrific, but I need a visual!

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train