Thursday, October 1, 2009

Excuse Me, but I Think You've Got My Chair...

A couple of weeks ago, I went to meet a friend of mine, who will remain nameless, ok fine we’ll call her…Anna, to work on a gift I am creating for Devin. I can't go into the details all that much because I still haven't given the gift to him. But, I will say, it’s hot. And it was so, SO, SO much fun to do. And I won’t ever tell y’all what it is.

We stopped by Anna’s friend’s place. I was so excited to get to go inside this building. I have been DYING to go in and am tempted to sneak in every time I drive by, but you sort of need a code, and they don't like people sneaking in. Plus, Devin told me if he ever had to bail me out of jail (maybe for trespassing into a building I shouldn't be in?), he would call my brothers first so they could all 3 laugh terribly hard about it before he came to get me. Love.

This was my chance to visit, and it was perfect timing as Lyn was getting ready to move out of the Gotham City Batman Lofts, I mean the Renoir Lofts, to some new digs.

renoir

It was really, really beautiful and Lyn was so nice to let us come in and make ourselves at home. She had the most amazing view, unique furniture, plenty of wine!, and lots of windows. As she was showing us around, she told us that pretty much every single thing in her place was for sale. I became giddy and had my eyes peeled when I came across this tucked away in the corner of her study.

20090901-IMG_4220
Look. at. that. precious. perfect. chair. I do not lie to you…it screamed my name. STEPHANIE! STEPHANIE! PURCHASE ME AND BE THE HAPPIEST, LAZIEST YET MOST INTELLIGENT READER IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES!

Slight exaggeration.

But it did scream my name. For serious.

20090901-IMG_4216

Can’t you just see me in my pajamas on a cold day (meaning 50 degrees- don’t hate, OV06) in Houston, with my coffee in hand, reading a Jodi Picoult (because I can’t seem to stray away from her for long) book while swallowed up by this morsel of heavenly reading comfort?! (use your imagination and remove/ignore the computer and random hubbub around me there).

20090901-IMG_4217
Look how happy we are together.

20090901-IMG_4219

…and how sassy she makes me? A true She-Ruby (shout out Allie Brooks)

And so, I toiled…and I toiled…and if you know anything about me, you know I am the most laid back yet INDECISIVE person ever,(thank you Devin, Sunday School personality test, and Methodist’s Birkman review for pointing that out to me…over and over in the past month) so I told Lyn I would get back to her. She gave me one day to decide, which did not do well with my thinking/toiling type brain.

Luckily, I am married to a decision maker. Husband didn’t care for the chair. He inquired about the ottoman (ummm…uh…there wasn’t one??), and in the end, we decided that even though Crate and Barrel sold this beauty at $900 dollars, Lyn was still wanting more than we wanted to pay for a reading chair with no ottoman. I was happy that Devin made that decision, because in the end, it was a smidge big for our apartment, and so, I had to let the chair go.

Why aren’t you crying?! This is a tragic story!

We currently have a repulsive pepto-bismol pink chair that was given to us when we got married that I thought about having recovered and stuffed, however, recovering a chair can cost as much as what we may have paid for the green one. There are always garage sales, but I have a germophobic tendency when purchasing used cloth things (perhaps this is rooted in the fact that I work in a hospital slash germ factory) from those.

There’s always Craigslist…

chair 1 Seriously?

chair 2

Ottoman? Check. My grand'ma’s curtains? Check. Stored in a garage? Check. Sick me out? Check.

miami vice

What or who the heck sat on this?

ottoman

Here we go, Dev…chair and ottoman! Done and Done!

And my favorite…

banana

The banana chair. This ad reads that this is a “very rare piece from the 70s that may or may not need to be reupholstered, depending on your style”. I’m sorry? Depending on your style? If you buy this and don't recover it, you are gross and don't come around me with your H1N1 and everything you will catch from this disgusting chair.

So you see, Craigslist does me no good.

So, I am on the lookout for a reading chair with hopes that we can find somewhere in our place for it. But, this chair needs to have character, have a soft and unique fabric (I am fairly picky about that one), be so comfortable I have to be bribed to get up (a la Penny Benardino’s recovered pheasant chair that I could not remove myself from during my trip in Dallas), it needs to be fairly cheap, and it needs an ottoman for Devin’s reptile feet.

Keep your eyes peeled for my chair.

Then, give it to me for Christmas. Kthanks.

4 comments:

  1. The banana chair looks like it's made for makin' out makin' out. Yet another reason to reupholster. I like your shoes, and your cardigan, and your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so pretty in the chair, esepcially the hair. I love how the second chair is pictured amongst garbage. Because that really increases its selling potential.

    Also 60 degrees = still wearing shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie..I am a fan of your blog! It makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train