Friday, October 2, 2009

New Bike Day...Not New Accessory Day

I don't know if you've noticed, but bicycles have rapidly become the hottest new accessory. JCrew, Banana Republic, Urban Outfitters (ack) and the likes have plugged them into their catalogs.

jcrew schwinn
Do you honestly think they ride bikes? I doubt it…or maybe they do, but if nothing else, they look good with bikes. Except for Cruella Deville on the 9 foot green bike.

girl on tall bike That is uncool.

The whole bike as an accessory thing sorta kinda bothers me, and bothers Devin a good amount. Maybe it’s because the people who buy the bike to have a bike don’t wear helmets and that bothers me. Or, maybe it’s because while we had legit bike parts to sell to legit riders at the bike swap last weekend, the trendsters and the hipsters were browsing the booths (why are they at a bike swap, when they can play paint by numbers for a small price here?) hoping to find a hot pink bedazzled bike chain for their fixed gear. Because fixies are trendy and that’s all they know. My bike is not a fixie, hence forth, I am not trendy. Another reason I am not trendy is that I do not wear these.

glasses

Moving on to the purpose of this post: Devin got a new bike, not a new accessory, hence, we had new bike day on Saturday! It’s a Salsa El Mariachi (we’re culturally well-rounded) 29er that he found on MTBR for a steal. I sound so bike-lingo-fluent. I just memorize what Devin tells me. 29 inch wheels roll better. I remember that, too. (You will note the change in picture quality as I finally got the camera hooked up! No more iPhone pictures! Or maybe a few…)

salsa

king The Salsa has a pink King headset.

The bike was set up for a girl in California (who we bought it from), hence the pink all over it. It’s so Lisa Frank.

lisa frank

Anyway, Devin loves his new girlfriend…

workingwheelieHe was so happy and excited to get it ready for Old Man Mountain Bike Weekend in a couple of weeks. We spent some time at the bike shop last night working on it. By “we” and “working on it”, I mean Devin worked on it while Zach and I did this:

Dev is so happy with his bike.

Wife is happy when husband is happy.

P.S. Out with the old, in with the new. We are posting some bike stuff Devin wants to sell on Craigslist. I’ll put a link up when it’s all done.

5 comments:

  1. I almost spit out my lunch when I read the "culturally well rounded" comment. It made me laugh so hard. As did the fact that I think I had that exact Lisa Frank folder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it weird that all the Lisa Frank comments didn't make sense until now?? The picture of the folder clears it all up. I figured it had something to do with the color scheme but good gosh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaha. I love the video. I miss Zach. When I finally get settled in wherever I am stationed, I want to get a new bicycle. I will consult you and Devin. I don't just want a bike because they're oh-so trendy now. I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do I honestly think the models above ride bikes? Probably not. But could they be the Village Bicycle? Maybe so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wear those glasses and so does my husband and you hang out with us. don't hate :)


    Ps. I am an English teacher. My above comment is both a run-on sentence, and it does not begin with a capital letter.

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train