Tuesday, October 27, 2009

No excuses, play like a champion

We got a letter from the Houston Food Bank yesterday, and though I do not expect you to give to every organization I post, I can gladly say that you now have absolutely zero excuses for not giving to an organization this season.  This is some frugal giving, y’all.

Devin knows I would literally give money to every organization (I think it worries him) that contacted me if I believed in the cause.  For example, one that didn’t work was some letter with a picture of a fox that said something about his quality of life.  I don’t know any foxes personally, therefore, the letter’s persuasion did not swoon me. 

Instead of giving money, Devin and I are doing some work at The Houston Food Bank this Saturday, but they need your donations as well.  Get this: They are asking for anything, and I mean anything.  A mere $3 will feed a person 3 meals through their organization.  Try to tell me you don’t have $3 and I’ll tell you to put down the coffee /slice of Cheesecake Factory cheesecake that is costing you 1,079 calories (believe it) /pretzel from the corner that tastes like a taxi ran over it. 

If you don’t have $3, please email me.

They need volunteers all the time, and it is super easy to sign up on their website. 

If you don’t live in Houston, look for your local food bank or mission.  You can donate food, money, or time, and I promise you will be blessed by it.  We are really looking forward to working with HFB on Saturday morning.

When I was hungry, you gave me something to eat, and when I was thirsty, you gave me something to drink. When I was a stranger, you welcomed me, and when I was naked, you gave me clothes to wear. When I was sick, you took care of me, and when I was in jail, you visited me."

Then the ones who pleased the Lord will ask, "When did we give you something to eat or drink?  When did we welcome you as a stranger or give you clothes to wear or visit you while you were sick or in jail?"

The king will answer, "Whenever you did it for any of my people, no matter how unimportant they seemed, you did it for me."

Matthew 25:35-40

Leave a comment with your favorite organization to donate to or volunteer with.

1 comment:

  1. I love the House of Ruth, a local (Washington, D.C.) shelter for abused women and children. They do great things with money --- nothing wasted on campaigns or mailings --- just every dollar helping people who need help.

    I thought I was generous, but you are AMAZING! I love to hear about all your charities and how you give and participate

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train