Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Bed, Breakfast, Buddies and Bicycles

I feel like I still haven’t recovered from our weekend in Dripping Springs.  Sleep. Deprivation. Too much excitement.  Too much fun.
Here’s a recap, a sorta kinda race report, and a lot of pictures.  Relax, get some more coffee, go to the bathroom, get comfortable.
front of bnb edited This is our bed and breakfast in Wimberley.  Seriously awesome.  It was in the middle of nowhere, and we pretty much had the place to ourselves.  We’re going back.  Love.
side of bnb edited view from bnb edited
Our view from the porch of the B&B.  Texas scares Kstan.  Views like this remind her of No Country for Old Men or something.  It was beautiful and someday, Kstan, I will take you there.
 wooden bear devin at bnb edited Tell me this isn’t the cutest picture of Devin ever taken (baby pictures don’t count) & I will say you’re absurd.  He never smiles like this.  I can’t get over it.  I feel like I want to print 11 copies of it and give one to all of you. 
Moving on to race day.
 
dev looking at race 

bikes in a line edited
There were lots of bikes to try, lots of vendors with all of their goods.  Much like a bike carnival.  Or something else that is way cooler.

classy outhouses edited

Lance thinks of everything- boy/girl portable toilets?  Genius.

Start

The start, as if you didn’t know.  This was Devin’s group lining up.  I think.  There were a lot of races, ok?
Bing, Bong Boom…BANG!  They’re off…

Lance

Lance Armstrong and Bryan Fawley (and JHK on the left).  This is about as far as Lance got in the race, I think.  I decided not to edit this picture because I like the spectators in it…but…

Lance cropped

Here is the cropped version for the someonewhowillremainnameless who asked which one is Lance.  He’s in black.

Chad starting edited

Chad lookin’ cool as a cucumber representing the Aggies while carrying a little girl on his back.  If you zoom in on this, it is way funny.  Or maybe I just think it’s funny.  Yeah, it’s probably not that funny.

Dev Starting edited

Dev starting.  Love the green.  Could do without the neon in-my-face sunglasses.  I love you.

3 guys and view edited

Dan, Shane, and Ian looking down at the course figuring out where our first photo spot will be.  The racers looked like little ants on bikes, which I was thinking may be even more efficient for ants.  Again…I haven’t slept enough lately.

chad races seriously edited 

Chad takes racing really seriously.

dev up the hill edited

Dev dominating a creek/hill of misery.  A handful of riders fell here, and if you know me, you know I cannot control my laughter when people fall.  It’s not that I think it’s funny, it’s like it stresses me out so much that I just laugh.  Anyway, if I laughed at you, I really just felt bad for you.  I’m not making this any better.

jhk edited

This guy won the race.  I think I got this shot as he was looking back at Dan and Ian who chased him like 12 yr olds chasing the Jonas Brothers.  Totally weirded me out too, JHK.

wiens edited

David Wiens…you may remember him from the Race Across the Sky documentary.  What?  I’m the only girl who got talked into going to that?  Sweet.  Anyway, he is an epic rider.  Look at me using boy words.

banana peel edited

Ian using a classic Looney Tunes tactic to try to slow Chad down.

dev third spot edited

Still goin, lookin good.

running with devin edited

Devin’s fans running part of the course with him.
And he’s done!  He finished!
And there is mud.

pint glass edited

Lots 

muddy edited

AND lots of mud.

number 34 edited 
Dev finished 32nd out of 53 race starters at 2 hours 25 minutes and 15 seconds! 
I am so proud of him for the following reasons:
1.  He did not crash
2.  He finished the whole thing!  And the mud was killer.  Only 38 racers finished this in his category.  Lance was not one of them.
3.  He beat this guy!!
4.  He stepped it up and raced in a class that was challenging instead of racing with the Cat 1 19-29 men and creaming them.
5.  He was and always is a good sport
He inspires me

3 comments:

  1. It is true. I am scared of Texas. I am scared of all those photos because weirods may be lurking in the woods. I am most scared of that thing carving on the porch.

    But Devin did so awesome!!! That is an intense looking race. Congrats Devin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Devin!! Awesome job by the sleep-deprived photographer too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proud of you Devin for taking the challenge . Maybe Lance needs some tips from you!
    Kstan: and there aren't weirdos lurking in the alleys of NYC?

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train