Thursday, November 19, 2009

fatty fatty fail.

I’ve been doing a lot of baking lately. Husband hates it while he is training for his RACE AGAINST LANCE IN 3 DAYS!!!! but I love to do it. I just can’t stop and as a result, Devin feels like a fatty fatty no friends. Just don’t eat it, you might say? He would say erroneous.

One of the reasons I love to bake is this.

kitchenaid 1 edited When I posted this picture, I made a high-pitched VROOOOOOOOOOOM sound. Out loud. Reminds me of this guy. This was our wedding gift from OV06. Tell me that thing is not your dream appliance and I’ll call you a liar. Best gift ever.

Do you see my cute apron in that picture?

Ok back to whatever I was posting about.

I made some sweet potato bread and it was delish dot com

sweet pot ingred edit The ingreeds. Or most of them. That’s one honkin’ sweet potato! Yum.

bread done 1 edit

And behold.

How’s that for a step by step instruction?

Fine.

Here’s the recipe from Cooking Light

1/3 cup ground flaxseed

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 c fat free cream cheese, softened

3 tablespoons butter, softened

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup honey (I added a bit more)

1 large egg

1 large egg white

1 cup mashed sweet potato

cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350

2. Combine flax, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Beat cream cheese and next 5 ingredients, stir in sweet potato. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

3. Spoon batter into a loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan, and cool completely on wire rack.

bread done 2 edit

It should look perfect like mine. Ha!! I drizzled some honey on top. Devin liked his warm with cinnamon and sugar on it. I liked mine with coffee because I like everything with coffee.

So, what sort of transition can I use for the next item on this post?

How about this: sometimes I am the worst baker in the history of the United States of America.

I was looking through one of the cookbooks I got as a wedding gift. My good friend, Janice, (you may remember her from the hot sauce post) gave me her family favorites cookbook and I found a recipe for pumpkin cookies. Pumpkin cookies! How different! How fun! HOW I LOATHE THEM!!!

ingredients pumpkin edited Ingreeds. Looks fun, right?! WRONG.

flour in mix edit

Just minding my business, following the recipe, being super excited for pumpkin cookies.

Then I go to roll it out…and…

FAIL EDIT

Yeah. Sick me out. No amount of flour could have made this dough stop sticking to everything it touched. Martha wouldn’t even know what to do, I guarantee it.

Have I mentioned that the pictures here are of the THIRD TIME I TRIED TO MAKE THESE DADGUM COOKIES?!?! So, I wasn’t about to waste this third (and final) batch. I threw that slop in a pan and cooked it like a cake.

in pan edit

piece edit

And then I informed Devin that he had to taste it.

So he smells it first?

smelling edit

The “make a funny face so she doesn’t think I hate it”

ack 2

and then I didn’t get the the picture of the projectile vomiting.

Janice, if I were you, I would kick whoever submitted this recipe into your family secrets cookbook OUT OF THE FAMILY.

I’m just bitter that I can’t bake. Actually, people, I can bake. It’s just that pumpkin cookies with delicious orange glaze icing don’t actually exist. Oh, Lord love a duck…I do not lie to you…as I was writing this, Real Simple Magazine emailed me a recipe for pumpkin cookies.

They’re liars.

Me- 0, Pumpkin cookies- 3.

2 comments:

  1. hey steph.. go to dewberryfarms.com..i got a simple, fabulous pumpkin cookie recipe off of that website..you only need 1/2 can of pumpkin..so i did 2 different batches..and the second was lacking just a little pumpkin(its a 14 oz can not 16, go figure..) so i smashed a little banana(abt 1/4) to make up for the lack of pumpkin..OHme OH my...they.were.the.bomb. also, i used a glaze I found on Whatever. blog..she uses it on her Glazed Apple Bars...
    hope that kind of helps:]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph! I'm distraught that my gift could give you feelings of inadequacy!! Put a big black X on that recipe. I think I will cover it up with your "fail" picture in my book. That's the trouble with family cookbooks--if you don't know the people, you don't know WHO to trust!!! Sorry . . .

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train