Monday, November 23, 2009

Winter/Christmas Centerpiece for a Small Space

This week’s Dare to DIY

DIY

Dare to entertain…Show Us Your Table

Along with about 90% of the female population, I love Christmas and I love to decorate for Christmas. With husband and I living in an apartment in our first year though, we don’t have a whole lot of room to store such things. So, this year I wanted to make something that could be easily stored or discarded and remade for next year.

spray paint with treeThe husband and I went branch hunting earlier this week and found exactly what I had pictured. While I worked late and ran some important (like buying decorations important) errands, Devin made a paint booth out of a box and painted the branch for me. That’s $.99 spray paint, you guys.

After the branch dried outside, I got everything together to get this branch in the vase aka tissue cover. This was, like, the greatest find ever at Homegoods. I couldn’t find ANYTHING I liked ANYWHERE and then, there it was, with a beam of light shining on it.

supplies 1 edited hole I have never been more thankful to be married to an engineer because I am pretty sure I would have screwed this up without his help. We made a hole in the foam with the blade of his hack saw rather than trying to shove the branch straight into it.

tissue box 1 edited

I covered the top of the “vase” with Spanish moss, you know, to make it look like this branch is growing out of that tissue cover. But, really, it gave it the sort of rustic look I love.

Then I just hung some small silver ornaments and some crystals, both from the local craft store on pre-season clearance.

And Voila.

centerpiece 1

whole table tilt

I did pick up some new Christmas linens at Crate and Barrel with leftover gift cards from our wedding. I love free stuff.

close up 1

tree tilt

I love it love it love it. It was very affordable, it fits our little table so perfectly, and the branch can be chunked and easily be remade next year.

Now if Houston would bring on some winter weather, I might actually feel like Christmas is upon us!

15 comments:

  1. love it love it too! I vote for your team in this DIY challenge:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!! I would have NEVER thought of that! I just might have to copy cat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so great! I love it. I may have to swipe this idea. I've been loving the branches I've been seeing everywhere, but I just havent' taken the plunge.

    I also love the reds of the linens. We don't have C&B Or PB around here, but I'm hitting one this weekend after Thanksgiving. Cannot wait. =)

    Thanks for joining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tissue box! You are so smart! I think we're ALL going to be copying this idea. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Add some candles and that centerpiece would just glow. Great choice on the linens. I have a seasonal job at C&B and I want everything in the store!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful, I love the glass hanging off of the branch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The end-product picture looks like it's straight out of a magazine. I'm more than impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your table looks beautiful. It is so classic and elegant. I can't wait to whip out the Christmas decor later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. creative use of the tissue box cover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! I love painted branches - yours is darling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and your man are most talented.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So creative....I love the centerpiece and I would have never of thought about using a tissue box. It looks great with the red as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your centerpiece is amazing! Love the elegant simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE LOVE LOVE your centerpiece!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train