Monday, November 30, 2009

Dare to Eat Cookies

After I failed 3 times at making those blasted pumpkin cookies, I thought I’d take a break for a while…until I saw the Dare to DIY Challenge for this week…

DIY

DARE TO EAT COOKIES.

I wanted to make something different (a la pumpkin cookies) but easy (not a la pumpkin cookies) and a cookie that can go great with my favorite beverage. So, I found a recipe in my December issue of Real Simple Magazine that was perfect.

Cinnamon Pinwheels

cookies on a plate

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for shaping the cookies
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  • Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla.
  • With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated (the dough will be stiff). Shape into a disk and (unless otherwise specified in an individual recipe) refrigerate, wrapped, for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
  • Divide dough in half (do not substitute slice-and-bake dough). On a floured surface, roll each piece into an 8-by-12-inch rectangle.
  • Sprinkle with a mixture of ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
  • Starting from a long side, roll each rectangle into a log. Refrigerate until firm. Slice ¼ inch thick.
  • Bake at 350° F on parchment-lined baking sheets until just beginning to brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
  • Cool slightly on baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
  • Cookies with coffee

    Now, I am no Fattycakes (have you bought yours yet??)extraordinaire, but my cookies turned out okay thanks to the engineering skills of husband, because without him, I would be stamping a big fat fail on these too. I don’t know what it is, but cookie dough just loves to cling to our counters no matter how much flour we put down. Pay no attention to their less than perfect distorted shape. We were going for the Dr. Seuss look.

    Cookies and mug side Cinnamon Pinwheels

    +

    HEB Taste of the Hill Country coffee

    =

    I am happy for life.

    Happy Monday party people

    2 comments:

    1. I LOVE the Dr. Suess look. They look delicious. Way to get back on the horse after your pumpkin cookies.

      I'm terrible at making any food/dessert look presentable. I think it's cause I have ZERO patience. So, I just aim for good tasting. =)

      Thanks for joining in!

      ReplyDelete
    2. HEB Taste of the Hill Country is my favorite coffee too!! I haven't bought it in a while because our coffee maker has been broken for about 2 months, but maybe I should go but a cheap one, whip up a batch of those cookies and indulge :)

      ReplyDelete

    Hop on the love train