Monday, December 14, 2009

Dare to Deck the Halls

This weekend I did my first sewing project, like, ever, for the Dare to Deck the Halls entry.  I had to drive 45 minutes to my mom’s house just to use her machine.  That’s how much I sew.  None.

Anyways.

DC and I are in an apartment as I have mentioned, leaving little room for Christmas decorations 1. because if we decorated the whole place we wouldn’t have a lot of room to walk and 2. because we have no place to store said decorations after Christmas.  This really has nothing to do with my project except for the fact that I made stockings and when I brought them home, the only place we could find to hang them was

hanging 2above the bike room door frame.

Hanging again 2 

I hope Santa is tall.  Excuse the horrible pictures…I took these this morning on my way to work in-between drying my hair and eating breakfast.

I found this post on Blissfully Domestic (one of my favorites minus the cheesy title…no offense) and it seemed simple enough.  She used a tighter-woven sweater which gives you more of a shape, but I have always liked the “old sock” look for stockings.  (Plus, when you’re looking for sweaters to cut up, it’s not like you have a ton of options.  Right?)  When I got to my mom’s house, though, the only stocking I found to trace was so wide that it looked like it would fit DC’s foot (ba-dum-ching!), so these turned out bigger, or wider, than I wanted.

In addition, my dad was leaving to go to his Christmas party while I was at their house, and he kept calling me down to help him pick out what he was going to wear.  So, I was distracted.  Not that I’m making excuses for why they’re not perfect…because I actually like them a lot.

3 comments:

  1. I love the stripes on them. And, I'm so happy and impressed you took up sewing for this project. I'm learning to sew little by little, too. You'll get hooked. =) Esp. when your projects turn out so good.

    Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love the stripes! I think it's great that you hung them above your door. Don't let the lack of a mantle stop your holidays.
    PS. Sounds like its time to get your own sewing machine and start a new hobby :)

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train