Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Dare to Make Homemade Gifts

My project is late, Teacher Newlywoodward.  I was sick.
This week’s Dare to DIY was dare to make homemade gifts.
I made salt scrub just like Martha says to…and then I didn’t like it her way, so I added and took out and made it more the way I like it.  Because if I am giving a gift to someone else, it needs to be just the way I like it, right?
supplies 2
Supplies: Mixing bowl, spatula, food coloring, cute jarish thing,
Epsom salt
salt 2
(super super cheap)
essential oils
eucalyptus 2  peppermint oil 2 
I did Eucalyptus Peppermint, or Peppermint Eucalyptus (it’s all in how you look at things)…one because I plan on keeping some of this and using it when I have a migraine and two…I really only have one reason.  You can get essential oils even at the grocery store in the health and wellness aisle (sorta by the vitamins).
Carrier Oil
grapeseed 2
Ok, your carrier oil is actually called that because it “carries” the scent and such into your skin.  I may have gotten that wrong, but Wikipedia explains it quite well.  Anyway, there are TONS of carrier oils, but I chose grapeseed for its natural perks.  What are those perks, you ask?  It was the cheapest.
I also read that olive oil is actually really good for your skin, so I mixed my grapeseed oil with Olive oil.
salt in bowl 2
Can you count the bikes in the bowl reflection?
2 1/2 cups salt and 1 cup of carrier oil.  When I made it this way, aka Martha’s way, I thought it was too oily, so I added, like, 2 more cups of salt.  You can do whatever you want.
salt and oil 2
Add 8 drops of the essential oils…so if you do 2 scents, do a good ratio…I did more than 8 drops because I’m hard core.
 green 2
This was one, I said ONE, drop of food coloring mixed in well. 
You could add more, obvs.
jar 2
I found these little things at Crate and Barrel for about $1.50 each, I think.  I sill had free money there, so really, I paid nada.  Wow, that’s really not a good picture at all.  Martha uses some fancy shmancy canning jars that you have to order from this website where you fax in your order sheet and do all of this ridiculous math (total, tax, add $4.09, subtract your birthday, multiply by the number of cousins you have, divide by your dad’s golf handicap) for them.  So, if you know me and how terrible I am at math, you know I laughed and threw the order sheet in the shredder.  Then I went to Crate and Barrel.
label 2
Martha also gives you her clip art for her labels and tells you to print them on $20.00 bumper sticker paper from Office Depot or something.  I did not use said clip art because we do not have a printer at home (also because I do not need bumper sticker paper but whatevskis).  Nor do we have the internet from which I would print said clip art.  We live the simple life.  The life with 6 bikes in one room.  Anyway, so I tried to make my own and ended up with this botch deluxe.  But really, without the bumper sticker paper (I get it now, Martha), it is kinda stupid to make a label because you have to assume if someone actually uses this gift, they will get it wet.  So, I made one the way a certain store that I love (this store may or may not rhyme with Math Funkie and make the best bath scrub ever…salty enough even for me) does it.
label on side 2
The more I look at that, the more I think it’s spelled wrong.  Anyway, write the name on some packing tape.  Does the trick.
finished half 2 
And with this, you could put a card that says,
“Merry Christmas!  You can thank me later for helping you get rid of your dry smelly skin”.
Or something else…

2 comments:

  1. No worries about being late. I'm no stickler, that's for sure.

    Where does one buy epson salt? I looked for it at the grocery store to use as snow and I couldn't find it? Craft store? I'm totally clueless.

    This is a very thoughtful gift, I for one would love to receive it. Thanks for linking up! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim I get it at the grocery store but sometimes they keep it in weird weird places...like foot care (by the dr. scholls and the corn pads, I do not lie) because people soak their feet in it. I've seen it next to denture care, the baking aisle, and the health aisle.

    ReplyDelete

Hop on the love train